Are you ready to join in the La Bastille Paris celebration? Here are nine reasons to love this French holiday.
1. The stunning military parade. The route of this Paris parade leads down the Champs-Elysées from l’Arc de Triomphe to Place de la Concorde. You’ll be able to see military vehicles, troops, and marching bands. Keep an eye on the skies above – there will be numerous fly-overs in addition to the land show.
2. Delicious French food. Pack a picnic and scope your spot for the evening fireworks. Or, make a reservation at a café with a beautiful view of the city. Either way, enjoy wine, French cheeses, baguettes, croissants, and other delightful regional cuisine.
3. A time for history. La Bastille Paris marks an important turning point in the French Revolution. Very similar to Independence Day in the United States, this holiday celebrates an important shift in power for the rulers of France.
4. Family-friendly. While there are plenty of events happening during La Bastille Paris, most celebrate this holiday as a family – picnicking in a park, enjoying a leisurely afternoon, and watching fireworks together in the evening.
5. Fantastic fireworks. Late in the evening, a fabulous fireworks show happens right in front of the Eiffel Tower. Find a spot in the Champ de Mars or along one of the bridges of the Sienne River near the Eiffel Tower to be up close to this impressive display.
6. Spontaneous singing. Expect to hear the national anthem, La Marseillaise, throughout the evening. Join into the revelry by singing along.
7. Street dances/fire station balls. The night before La Bastille Paris, enjoy live bands and dancing in the streets as the firemen host balls throughout the city.
8. Paper lamps. A souvenir option for the evening that serves as reminder that the only light available for the citizens of the 18th century were torches and candles.
9. Free museum entry. Many museums open their doors free of charge on La Bastille Paris. Make the most of over 200 choices and take the whole family.